Did you ever go to summer camp as a kid? If you did, you probably always made sure to be prepared for a long stay. Readying for treatment requires some planning, too! We want your time at Stepworks to be as comfortable as possible, so it’s important that you know what to bring to treatment: items from home that help you to comfortably enjoy all that Stepworks has to offer. We have come up with a list of some recommended items that everyone should bring with them when they come to Stepworks. This list is not inclusive, but it’s a great place to start when preparing for your stay. The weather is always changing in Kentucky, so come prepared for the seasons coinciding with your stay!
What should I bring?
- Copies of your insurance cards
- 7 changes of clothing — don’t forget underwear, socks, bras, etc.
- 2 sets of workout clothing for exercise
- Tennis shoes
- Jacket/ sweater
- Pajamas, house shoes
- Liquid laundry detergent/ fabric softener
- No more than $50.00 in cash/ coins (One-dollar bills work best! Include 1-2 rolls of quarters for laundry.)
- Personal toiletries, including shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, comb and brush, feminine hygiene products, etc.
What should I NOT bring?
At Stepworks, we ask you to put 100 percent of your focus into your recovery. For that reason, we have limits on what to bring to treatment. You’ll need to leave some items at home, even if you might be used to having them with you. Certain items are prohibited because they are distracting, inappropriate for treatment, or dangerous (sometimes for reasons that might not be obvious). We appreciate your willingness to forgo some modern comforts for the sake of your recovery.
Leave these items at home:
- Cell phones or any electronic devices (tablets, e-readers, laptop computers)
- CDs , DVDs or TVs
- Stuffed animals
- Weapons (knives, guns, or sharps of any kind)
- Controlled substances, illegal substances, and alcohol
- Pornographic material or any sexually explicit materials
- Medications which you are not currently taking
- Containers with unidentified substances
- Alcohol or any items containing increased amounts of alcohol (mouthwash/toothpaste)
- Opened cigarette packs or tobacco logs and dip (on admission only)
- Electronic cigarettes
- Drug paraphernalia
- Garments containing inappropriate content (drugs, alcohol, bars, taverns, offensive/satanic imagery or language)
- Revealing clothing (shirts that expose midriff, low-cut tops, tube tops, spaghetti straps, form-fitting attire, shorts any shorter than mid-thigh)
- Outside food or drink of any kind (including chewing gum)
- Battery-powered toothbrushes
- Nail polish remover
- Nail polish
- Hair dyes
- Chemical hair straighteners
- Aerosol products (including deodorant and hairspray)
- Hand sanitizer
- Work or employment materials
- Condoms or birth control devices
- Permanent markers (Sharpies)
- Ace bandages